The Dark Tower *MAYBE SPOILERS*

I work two jobs - a 9-5 Monday through Friday and a part-time on the weekend. They have unfortunately cut a lot of hours at my weekend job, so much so that I got this past weekend off. Instead, I caught a matinee of The Dark Tower.

I am not a fan of Stephen King books. For one, I'm not a big fan of horror, either in books or on film. Thrillers I can handle - Hitchcock is one of my favorite directors. But horror films these days seem more about jumping out and scaring the bejesus out of you. And anything with a doll or ventriloquist dummy is a solid "Oh, HELL NO!" I don't know what it is about King's books but they just don't do it for me. I read The Green Mile (not bad) and one of his short stories - I think it was from Night Shift - during a psychology class in high school (there was a lot of not paying attention those last two years). In small doses, I can handle him, but his larger works are just too gargantuan. I could read a lot in the same time it takes to read a King book. Maybe it was my choice of books. I started with Gerald's Game, a story about a couple who go to a secluded cabin for a little kink. She inadvertently kills him while she's handcuffed to the bed. Maybe it got better, but honestly the thought of a 350 page book about a chick trying to get out of handcuffs did not sound fantastic. I read The Gunslinger, book one in The Dark Tower series, but it still didn't work for me. I just found it confusing. So I was looking forward to the film to hopefully clarify some of the story.

Beforehand though, I read that it doesn't follow the novels. So much for clarification. I guess this is supposed to act as a sequel to the novels somehow? I'm not sure how. I'll be honest, probably the biggest draw for this film is Idris Elba. So imagine my disappointment when it takes so long to get him on screen. Most of the beginning is about Jake and his dreams. He sees the tower and how the Man in Black is attempting to take it down. The Man in Black wants Jake because he's powerful enough to bring down the tower on his own, so he sends some minions to get him. Jake of course escapes and figures out how to travel to Mid World to meet up with Roland.

There a lot of exposition that has to be gotten through, this being the beginning and all, and exposition is so tiresome. Lots of talky-talky, not enough action. At one point the film took on some kind of weird Jumanji feel. Once Idris got on screen it seemed to pick up, although I'm willing to admit I might be slightly biased there. But then there was McConaughey. I am not sure he was the best choice for this role. He seems too laid back to be menacing. I never really felt he was threatening anyone, even when he was killing them or bending them to his will. I'm not sure if that's the point, though. A cool, calm character that can exert an extreme amount of power is more interesting, usually. Usually. I'm just not sure he pulled it off. One actor I was really impressed with was Katherine Winnick. I've only seen her in Vikings where she's such an ass-kicker. Here she's torn between being a loving mom and trying to get her son the help he desperately needs, although nothing of this earth can help him. I hate that most of the thrilling moments with Idris are in the trailers (most!). But from what I do understand of the character from reading what little I have, he plays it perfectly. All in all, I found it enjoyable enough, once the action started. It just took a while to get going. 

There's reports that if the film does well, they will be adapting the the others into a TV series and more films. Idris and Tom Taylor (Jake) have signed on for the series. McConaughey hasn't, and that is fine by me. But so far it apparently hasn't brought in the dough at the box office. I'd like to see it do well since A) more Idris, and B) I won't have to read the books. Oh, who am I kidding, I'm not reading those books. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Losing My Religion

36 Books That Changed The World by The Great Courses (audiobook)

Review: “Three Identical Strangers”