August movies I'm interested in seeing

I've been on more of a movie kick than a book kick lately. There's a lot of stuff coming out in the next  five months that I'm really looking forward to, so I want to share those with you.

First, I'd love to see The Hitman's Bodyguard (this link is to the red band trailer so don't watch with the kiddos or the boss around). Ryan Reynolds has gotten to be such a big name in Hollywood, and I'm so happy for him. I remember watching him in Two Guys, a Girl, and a Pizza Place. I would have never expected him to get this big. Not that he wasn't good, you just never know what to expect, you know; who's going to get the breaks. This looks like it'll be pretty funny with enough action to keep it exciting.

I'm also really interested in seeing the film Detroit. I don't know anything about the subject matter that the film is based on. It's slightly ahead of my time, so it's nothing I would have been aware of. It looks like an era of our history though that should be remembered. I mean I'm at least passingly aware of the Watts riots and that was even earlier. A friend of mine when to see it and said it was really intense, so much so that people were walking out, not because it was bad, but because it made people that uncomfortable. Unfortunately history isn't comfortable. That doesn't mean we should ignore it. In fact it's more reason for us to embrace films like this that shove the ugly truth in our face and make us acknowledge its existence. Maybe it's one to watch at home, but still I think it needs to be seen.

Coming to Netflix this month is What Happened to Monday. It looks like a twist on Orphan Black. In the future there's regulation on how many children a family can have. When one family has 7 kids, they raise them to take on a single personality and only go out in public one day a week, naming them  after their day. One day Monday disappears. What happens to the rest of the girls? It looks pretty interesting.

Another film coming out is Marjorie Prime. It appears to be a small, quiet little drama that could possibly get lost in the maze of blockbusters out there. It reminds me of an episode of Black Mirror, the one where the woman loses her husband and gets an android to replace him. In this situation though, Marjorie is old when she loses her husband, who is significantly older than she is. They get a hologram of the husband. It's unclear what the reasoning is, if it's to ease her grief, or so she won't be lonely, or something to do with memory. Whatever it is, memory is playing a big part in the plot. People can manipulate their memories, making them easier to bear or making themselves out to be better than they were. So if your hologram husband is relying on your memories and they are distorted, how does that change the person he's supposed to be? It looks really thought-provoking. It's a limited release though, so I'm not sure if it's going to come anywhere near where I live.

Last weekend in the trailers to The Dark Tower, there was one for Birth of the Dragon. It claims to be a Bruce Lee biopic, but I'm not sure how accurate that is. A lot of the comments look like their pretty pissed. So don't look at it like a Bruce Lee biopic. IT'S GOT KUNG FUUUU! I don't really care about the accuracy, I just want to see some asses get kicked. You promise me that, that's all I'm looking for.

So that's what's caught my eye this month. If anyone thinks I should look out for something else, let me know.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Losing My Religion

36 Books That Changed The World by The Great Courses (audiobook)

Review: “Three Identical Strangers”