The Chimes by Charles Dickens (narrated by Richard Armitage)

Audible will occasionally offer its members free books. I love free books with every fiber of my being, so I will always give these a try. I've met some real sucky stuff this way, but I've run across some good ones too, ones I never would have thought to try if it wasn't free. This was one of those free books that Audible gave away over Christmas. Honestly, I was mostly attracted by having Thorin Oakenshield read me a story, but I'm not averse to a Dickens novel either, so it seemed like a win-win.

But imagine taking all the pathos from Dickens' Little Dorrit and cramming it into 4 chapters. This has got to be the single most depressing story I've ever read. This is why we have Prozac, people.

It starts like most Dickens novels. The rich folk are telling the poor folk that they have no right to be born or marry or be happy, or they are telling them that they just need to leave everything up to their "father" or protector - in other words, the rich folk. Then the third chapter starts and things get a little freaky. There are goblins and ghosts and things just spiral all to hell for the poor folk. It's a lot like A Christmas Carol (or It's a Wonderful Life) where the main character's ghost gets to see what life is like after he's gone. I'm not entirely sure why the goblins do this to him - they are accusing him of something, but damn if I can tell you what it is. It may be that he's thinking that people are born bad, but can you blame him? These rich folk eat his tripe, which to him is something really special, while making him feel like he's robbed poor widows and orphans for having it for a meal. They tell his daughter that they will basically send her to jail if she marries the man she's in love with because he'll just abandon her and her kids will be hooligans. They are just first-class douchebags.

But then it turns all Dallas - Who Shot JR on you. And everything is all right and we get a happy ending. Confused? Yeah, me too.

But Richard Armitage makes it all worthwhile. He could make bestsellers out of technical manuals. All the characters are easily distinguishable and well characterized. I would have listened to anything he did anyway, but now I have a real, legitimate reason.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Losing My Religion

36 Books That Changed The World by The Great Courses (audiobook)

Review: “Three Identical Strangers”