Career of Evil by Robert Galbraith

I hope everyone had a happy holiday season. I'd like to say that the reason I haven't posted anything in so long is because I was so consumed with spending time with family, but that isn't completely true. It was just one of those times when I just wasn't up to reading. I don't know what brings it on or what makes it end, but around the first I snapped out of it and finally finished this novel.

This is the first Cormoran Strike novel I've actually read. The other two were audio books, but I really enjoyed them. This one took a really long time to grab me. I'm not sure whether to place the blame on the book or my reading malaise, though.

I'm going to assume you've read the other two novels or at least a summary of them. To sum this one all up, Cormoran and Robin are sent a woman's dismembered leg. All of Strike's clients split. They were hard up before, so that makes it even worse. Robin's fiance Matthew gets more sullen and manipulative. With their wedding just a few weeks away, that creates a lot of tension between all of them. More of Strike's & Robin's pasts are revealed. Strike considers there are three men from his past that might be capable of sending limbs to him. They start their (unpaid) investigations. More attacks follow, all seemingly connected to Strike.

It's hard to give a good synopsis without revealing too much. I can tell you my admiration for Robin has substantially increased. I felt the novel started kind of slow - it at least didn't grab me as quickly as I thought it would. But once it did grab me, I was completely hooked. This is a really compelling series and some of the stuff the author comes up with - honestly, there are some things I kind of wish I could un-read. I just wish it was a little less wordy and more action-y at the beginning.

UPDATE: It's being filmed! It's going to be on BBC. Happy dance!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Losing My Religion

36 Books That Changed The World by The Great Courses (audiobook)

Review: “Three Identical Strangers”