2016 in books

I started out the year so full of literary promise, and that train derailed quickly. I started binging The Walking Dead and Game of Thrones, and I was forcing myself to read books that I wasn't truly into, and the impetus with which the year began soon faded. I know months went by without me cracking a book, and that made me sad because I identify myself as a book lover. It is who I am as much as the color of my eyes. What's a book lover to do when they just aren't loving books? Relationships can grow stagnant without some variety. Interpersonal relationships can get tricky - people can resort to infidelity, friendships can wither and die. But, thankfully, a relationship with books is easily reinvigorated. All it took for me was a little shift in format. In total I read 64 books, by far the most of any other year that I've been keeping track. So here is my list of what I read this year, ranked by the number of stars I gave it on Goodreads:

5 STARS
  • Wayward volumes 1-3 by Jim Zub - all of these volumes got 5 stars and I'm anxiously awaiting vol. 4 in March
  • Reconciliation Day by Christopher Fowler - Bibliomysteries ROCK!
  • Bach and The High Baroque by Robert Greenberg (audiobook)
  • 47 Ronin by Mike Richardson
  • Preludes and Nocturnes by Neil Gaiman
  • Y: The Last Man by Brian K Vaughan - easily one of my favorite reads all year
  • Preacher by Garth Ennis - It didn't start out as promising, but like with Y, there was a point where I just decided it was brilliant. And it is.
  • The Hidden Oracle by Rick Riordan
  • Marina by Carlos Ruiz Zafon (audiobook)
  • Harry Potter and the Cursed Child 
  • Alias Grace by Margaret Atwood
4 STARS
  • Outcast volume 1 & 2 by Robert Kirkman - I gave the first volume a 5 and the second a four, so until I know where this series is definitely going to fall, we'll just put it here.
  • The Walking Dead volumes 1-17 by Robert Kirkman - this series actually go a mixed bag of stars, so I guess this would be the average
  • The Girl With All the Gifts by M.R. Carey (audiobook)
  • William Shakespeare's The Empire Striketh Back by Ian Doescher
  • Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency: The Interconnectedness of all Kings by Chris Ryall
  • Blankets by Craig Thompson
  • The Sculptor by Scott McCloud
  • Armada by Ernest Cline
  • My Lady Ludlow by Elizabeth Gaskell (audiobook)
  • Great Mythologies of the World by various professors (audiobook)
  • Saga Volume 1 by Brian K Vaughan - I feel like I should love this more than I do, but it hasn't grabbed me yet. The next two volumes are getting pulled for me at the library, so we'll see where it goes
  • A Terrible Beauty by Tasha Alexander
  • Ray Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451: The Authorized Adaptation by Tim Hamilton
  • The Chimes by Charles Dickens (audiobook read by Richard Armitage/Thorin Oakenshield. *drool*)
  • Career of Evil by Robert Galbraith
  • A Brief History of Holiday Music by Robert Greenberg (audiobook)
  • QBQ! The Question Behind the Question by John G Miller
  • The Total Money Makeover by Dave Ramsey
3 STARS
  • Who Moved My Cheese? by Spencer Johnson
  • The Gunslinger by Stephen King
  • Shirley Jackson's The Lottery by Miles Hyman
  • Paper Girls by Brian K Vaughan 
  •  Fun Home by Alison Bechdel

2 STARS
  • East of West Volume 1: The Promise by Jonathan Hickman - I actually just changed this to two stars while I was writing this. Strange how you can dislike something even more as time goes by
  •  Delphine by Richard Sala 
Here's to reading more in 2017! Hugs, kisses, and that old book smell to all!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Losing My Religion

36 Books That Changed The World by The Great Courses (audiobook)

Review: “Three Identical Strangers”