Prologue


Love alters not with his brief hours and weeks,
But bears it out even to the edge of doom. 

 
I have always loved books. 
I can't remember ever not loving books.
Like Ross and Rachel, we may go on a break every now and then, 
but we always find our way back to each other. 
I sometimes have very passionate feelings for these inanimate companions 
and I want to put these thoughts somewhere. Let's start from where I am now.

The book I've been reading the longest right now is The Wizard of Oz series.
Good Lord, is this long! When I worked for Borders they had some bargain
books of the entire collection of L. Frank Baum's books - it's 3 volumes. I
have been trying to make it through the first volume since July and there's
always something better that I'd much rather be reading, even if that's a 
product label on the back of my Snickers. The first - and most familiar story, 
thanks to the film - was pretty easy, but Dorothy just seems to get more 
annoying as the series goes on. For some reason she randomly drops 
syllables in words, and they aren't natural drops. The forced dialect is making 
me crazy. Even the story without Dorothy is packed with such ridiculous 
puns, you can get dizzy from the constant eye-rolls. Did children really find this 
amusing once? Maybe that's the benefit of having to wait for the next in the series. 
My to-read list is far too long for this...
 
On the other hand...
 
The book I've been reading next longest is The Infinite Sea by Rick Yancey. This is 
the second in a series that began with The 5th Wave. It's been a while since I've read 
the first book. I can't tell you one thing about that book. It's some kind of alien invasion
thing. One thing I was kind of irked by while reading the Harry Potter series once upon
a time was the repetition. Each book in the series, you had to read about how Harry 
lived in the cupboard under the stairs, blahblahblah. Just get to the point, JK! Oh, how 
I miss those days. I guess a writer needs to strike a delicate balance between hammering
the audience over the head with the same information over and over again and leaving 
them out in the cold every time. However, I'm just in the beginning, so maybe that will change.


 
The other books I'm reading are in the Bibliomysteries series. If you are unfamiliar with
these books, I would encourage you to seek them out. They are maybe 100 pages or so by
notable authors. Some of them you will thank the god of bookbinding are short, but others
will introduce you to some authors you haven't experienced before. The one I'm on now is
the 20th in the series and is called The Nature of My Inheritance. So far, so good.
 
So those are my thoughts for now. Let's see how this goes. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Losing My Religion

36 Books That Changed The World by The Great Courses (audiobook)

Review: “Three Identical Strangers”