The Sandman Vol. 1: Preludes and Nocturnes by Neil Gaiman

I have an odd love for Neil Gaiman. It all stems from just one book: Good Omens. I ran across this wonderful little gem, I think, either right after I'd finished reading Hitchhiker's Guide or right after Douglas Adams died. However, something has kept me from enjoying other stuff of his. I was almost afraid to pick up Sandman, but I'm glad I overcame that.

It wasn't the easiest read. Sometimes I have trouble following the panels, not just on Sandman, but on the other graphic novels/comics I've read. If this comes as a result of being a newbie to the medium or just that my brain is hardwired to linear reading, I'm not sure. But considering that the setting is dreams and the realm of Morpheus the god of Dreamland, I came to realize that a little confusion is probably the point.

I have some stupid-ass dreams; I don't know about you. The most vivid and the most recurring are where I get chased by things. One was a falling skyscraper, another was tornadoes. This skyscraper would actually turn corners to continue falling after me. Some weird shit. And I hate that experience where something terrible is happening and you are telling yourself in the dream that this is just a dream. The meta freaks me out.

The final issue contained in this volume, where Morpheus accompanies his sister Death on her rounds. I think that was actually my favorite one. But I really enjoyed it. Maybe I've finally found a way to really love Neil Gaiman and not fake-love him. We'll see what happens as the series progresses.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Losing My Religion

36 Books That Changed The World by The Great Courses (audiobook)

Review: “Three Identical Strangers”