Saga Volume 1 by Brian K Vaughan & Fiona Staples

So this is the newest series by the creator of Y: The Last Man, which I really loved, Brian K Vaughan. It's kind of Romeo & Juliet in space, if Friar Lawrence's letter hadn't gone astray. It opens with a birth. The mother is from the planet Landfall and the father is from the planet's moon, Wreath. The two worlds have been warring since anyone can remember, but have "outsourced" their war to other planets, one of which is Cleave, where the baby, who is the narrator of the comic, is born. This volume ends with them escaping the groups who are searching for them from both their families, with the help of a ghost that only manifests from the midriff up and has ghostly guts hanging below, which I thought was kinda cool for some reason. The ghost is bound to the baby and is basically the nanny, at least during the night.

I think it's an interesting concept, combining Shakespeare with what promises to be an intriguing space opera. The characters, even at this early stage, are easy to become invested in, even the baby, through the narrative. As for the art, I feel like some of the panels look like the characters are separated from their backgrounds, almost like old cel-based animation, like Bugs Bunny. I don't find it good or bad; it's just something I noticed.

So on to Volume 2. This one is still an ongoing series, like The Walking Dead that I'm still reading. I guess if anything changes, I'll post something else, but it looks like I've gotten myself into another never-ending story.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Losing My Religion

36 Books That Changed The World by The Great Courses (audiobook)

Review: “Three Identical Strangers”