November Movies & TV

October had a lot of amazing shows that came out, and I was able to catch quite few of the that I had wanted to watch. November appears to be a much quieter month, but there’s still a few things I hope to be able to see.

First off, on November 3rd (or November 2nd if you have advance tickets) is Thor: Ragnarok. I’m obscenely excited for this. The trailer I’ve linked here is the first I’ve seen with Korg. Reviews have been really good, and it’s been called one of the funniest Marvel movies in a while. I think that’s excellent! I’ve been excited since the first strains of Led Zeppelin’s “Immigrant Song” came blasting out of my speakers months ago. This looks like such a kick-ass film, and I bought my tickets last month for a 7:45 viewing on the 2nd. This is the earliest I’ve ever seen a film. I hate crowds but for Thor (and Loki), I’m going to brave it.

Also on November 3rd, over on Netflix, there’s a Margaret Atwood adaptation called Alias Grace. It’s a fictionalization of the true story of Grace Marks, a maid in 19th century Canada who, along with the house’s handyman, James McDermott, killed their employer Thomas Kinnear and his housekeeper/lover. The book was amazing, and the trailer looks very beautiful. The miniseries has already aired in Canada, and other than that it’s slow in some places, the reviews have been pretty good. This was the first Margaret Atwood book I’ve read, and I found it very interesting. I hope the miniseries is just as good.

On November 10th, a remake of Agatha Christie’s Murder on the Orient Express is out. I hate remakes, but this has got a stellar cast. Kenneth Branagh, Judy Dench, Willem Dafoe, Michelle Pfeiffer, Derek Jacobi, just to name a few. Plus that mustache on Branagh at least deserves separate billing all on its own. Again, the visuals look really fantastic. It hearkens back to the all-star casts Christie novels used to get on TV when I was a kid, but with a feature budget, they really get to pull out the stops, and, at least from the trailer, it looks like it shows.

Marvel’s The Punisher has finally been confirmed for a November 17th release on Netflix. It looks like a bloodfest, but Jon Bernthal was so good on Walking Dead as Shane, and this looks like it could almost be an extension of that character, just with Bernthal playing the guy you’re rooting for this time. I wasn’t able to get far in any of the other Marvel series playing on Netflix, but I’m going to give this one a try and if I can take it, maybe I’ll give the others a second look.

In theatres on the 17th is an animated Christmas film called The Star. Honestly I don’t really want to see a Christmas movie before Thanksgiving, but I’m kind of a sucker for animated films sometimes. It tells the nativity story from the point of view of the animals. I know a lot of people may roll their eyes at this one, but it’s got some big names, and it looks cute. The only drawback so far is that I just saw an article that they’ve cast Joel Osteen as one of the wisemen. I’ll just have to muscle through somehow.

Lastly, on the 22nd is another animated feature, Coco. I like that we’re getting a Día de Muertos film. I think it’s important to at least try to understand other cultures, although that may not be the prevailing sentiment in the nation right now. This is probably just going to gloss over the holiday in favor of story, but I hope we at least get some information on what it’s about and it’s importance. I think it will also have a Frozen short attached in the beginning. That may turn some people off, but, since I don’t have kids, I’ve avoided the “Let It Go” overkill and can still enjoy both the film and the song. It’s Disney/Pixar so you know it’s going to be good.

The year is quickly coming to a close. We’re gearing up for the last few weeks that studios have to get their Oscar nominees into theatres, so next month I’m assuming there will be lots of dramas. I know one film that’s at the top of the list, but I guess we can talk about that later.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Losing My Religion

36 Books That Changed The World by The Great Courses (audiobook)

Review: “Three Identical Strangers”