The Sculptor by Scott McCloud

Since I've been watching TV more than reading lately, I thought graphic novels might be a bridge to getting me back into reading mode. There will be a lot of graphic novels on here soon.

This is the first one that's created just as a stand-alone graphic novel, as opposed to a serialized comic that's had several issues combined into graphic novel-ish format.

Scott McCloud wrote the book on comics. Literally. Two books, actually, Understanding Comics and Making Comics. I think I read the former many years ago, but I'm not sure I understand comics any better. Or maybe I forgot what I understood. Anyway, since he is an admired student of the art of the comic, I thought this really needs to be one for the list. Here's the synopsis:

David Smith is a New York City artist who's down on his luck. Like really down. When we meet him, he's just lost his job, he's recently lost his patron, he's close to getting evicted, and he's getting absolutely sloshed with the last remaining money in his pocket. Isn't that just the perfect time for Death to present himself as his deceased Uncle Harry and offer him a deal? David tells Death/Harry that he would give his life for art, and Death/Harry says, "OK. You have 200 days." David is given the ability to manipulate any material with just his hands, and the boy goes nuts, creating dozens of sculptures in a short period of time. When his artwork is still rejected, he goes to more drastic measures to get his art noticed. During this time he meets and falls in love with a rather flighty actress, because of course you will only meet someone you would give your life for when your days are numbered.

The art in the novel is as clever as you would expect. McCloud excels at showing motion and the frenetic pace of New York City. Some of the frames are startling and beautiful. The end pages where David's life is passing before his eyes is done so cleverly. The ending is sad and lovely and perfect. I hope you'll give it a try if you've never tried a graphic novel before. It will be worth your while.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Losing My Religion

36 Books That Changed The World by The Great Courses (audiobook)

Review: “Three Identical Strangers”