William Shakespeare's Star Wars by Ian Doescher

Ian Doescher obviously loves Shakespeare. He takes such care of a very beloved script, translating it into iambic pentameter and rhyming couplets. It must have taken a heck of a lot of diligence and research to accomplish, and to think he's done this 6 times, one for each film! I am thoroughly impressed and obviously incredibly lazy. I can't even write on this blog every night.

Despite the impressiveness of Doesher's feat, I do feel he took a few shortcuts. He relies heavily on Henry V, utilizing the St. Crispin's Day speech. Luke also has an Antony "Friends Romans Countrymen" moment and a sort of "Alas, poor Yorick" moment too. I don't remember anything similar in the actual films. Luke, as a relative newcomer to the Rebellion, has no place speechifying to the pilots in the war room. I can maybe see how Henry's journey mirrors Luke's, but it feels like a bit of a cop-out. But then again, he's just re-written a script in iambic pentameter. A guy taking on a challenge like this certainly has the right to use a crutch here and there, right?

One thing I do wish: I wish he'd had Luke say "Carrie!" after he came back from blowing up the Death Star. Some things should stay the same.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Losing My Religion

36 Books That Changed The World by The Great Courses (audiobook)

Review: “Three Identical Strangers”