These are a few of my favorite things

Any good bibliophile understands that your favorite books say something about you. So as a (somewhat belated) introduction to myself, I want to talk about some of my favorite books. Some of these really touched me and some kept me up all night, but all of them make me who I am.

1. Sylvester and the Magic Pebble by William Steig.

I remember this like it was yesterday. I had this little set that was the book and an audio book that had this lovely little tune that played over it, so ephemeral and magical. I now know that it was Camille Saint-Saens "The Aquarium." It added such a lovely quality to the reading experience. The story itself is about being careful about what you do or say because you have to face the consequences. I wish I knew where to find this original set because this is one of the best memories of my childhood.

2. The Sneetches by Dr. Seuss.

Oh, those Star-Bellied Sneetches! Every Sneetch wants a star on their bellies and the ones that have stars are so much better than the others, apparently. So someone rolls into town who can put stars on Sneetch bellies and chaos ensues. This book is about the perils of trying to fit in and giving up your individuality. Sure, Dr. Seuss teaches so many lessons in his books and empowers kids (and adults) to dream, but this lesson about being yourself and not envying others is pretty priceless.

3. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte

This is the first book I remember staying up all night to read, and the only book I enjoyed reading in high school. Jane shows such strength. Whether it's standing up to her bully of a cousin or her bully of a headmaster, or leaving Rochester despite her overpowering love for him, she quietly soldiers on, weathering every storm. Sure, she isn't happy about being in the position society has forced her into, but she takes it like it comes and does the best she can with what she's got. And what's better than a love that can call to you over miles?

4. A Wrinkle in Time by

















You pierce my soul. I am half agony, half hope. Tell me not that I am too late, that such precious feelings are gone for ever." Or "Life seems but a quick succession of busy nothings." Next time you read a status update, compare it with these.



I won't say she was silly, but I think one of us was silly, and it wasn't me!"









































Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Losing My Religion

36 Books That Changed The World by The Great Courses (audiobook)

Review: “Three Identical Strangers”