The Prague Cemetery by Umberto Eco (unfinished) and some thoughts on audiobooks

Yesterday I tried to listen to the audiobook of The Prague Cemetery by Umberto Eco. I love audiobooks for so many reasons. First, I spend a lot of time in a tiny room doing mind-numbingly tedious work. Having something - anything - to make the time pass is absolutely necessary. Second, it makes reading longer books much easier. I've never read any Eco, although The Name of the Rose has been on my to-read list forever. Something about him seems intimidating, like Tolstoy (War and Peace has conquered me numerous times). I thought this would be an easier way around my fear. I couldn't get past what must have been the first dozen or so pages. It was just a litany of racial stereotypes of different European nationalities. It was just too "talky" - nothing happening, just haranguing the Jews, the Germans, the French, the Italians, until I finally gave up. Perhaps this is just one of those books that you have to give your absolute full attention to. Either have it going while you are driving or read the actual novel.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Losing My Religion

36 Books That Changed The World by The Great Courses (audiobook)

Review: “Three Identical Strangers”