October movies (and TV) I'm interested in

Well, it's been awhile again. I keep telling myself that I'm going to write more on here, but I never seem to follow through. I have been writing though, it's just not something I'm confident enough to share yet (or ever). But now that that little project is done, and it's almost a new month, I'm going to write about the things that I'm really looking forward to next month.

This fall seems to be packed with stuff I want to watch, almost more so than the summer. The first thing I'm anticipating is Bladerunner 2049. I love the original, and this looks like it retains that film's style and visuals. It's one of the films I've been looking forward to for a really long time. I just hope that Denis Villaneuve doesn't let me down the way Luc Besson did with Valerian. That comes out on October 6th.

Also on the 6th is The Mountain Between Us. I love Idris Elba. Kate Winslet's good too, but IDRIS!! It looks pretty intense. Idris is a doctor; Kate is a journalist. They have to get out of Idaho, but there's no planes flying out, and I guess there's no rental cars either. They find someone who's willing to bend the lines a little. See what happens when you fling your money around and flaunt the rules?!? Kate falls in the lake at one point, and I can't help wondering if Jack was around, would Rose find a place on that door now? Maybe that's why it's Idris and not Leo.

The day before that, Netflix has the premiere of the new season of Schitt$ Creek. It's a really funny fish-out-of-water show about a a wealthy family (headed by parents played by Catherine O'Hara and Eugene Levy) who fall on hard times after their business manager steals everything from them. The only asset they still have is the town of Schitts Creek, which they bought as a joke for their son. They have to move into adjacent rooms in the town's run-down motel and start their lives over. It also stars Chris Elliot, and honestly, if you aren't watching it, you should give it a try.

Next up, on October 13th, is a documentary on Netflix called Kingdom of Us. September is Suicide Prevention Awareness Month. This has been a rough month, from Harvey, Irma, Jose, and Maria, to earthquakes in Mexico and Japan, to devastating flooding in Nigeria and South Asia, to terrorist attacks in London. I read an article in the New England Journal of Medicine that found that counties that experience major flooding have a 13.8% increase in suicides, a 18.9% increase after hurricanes, and a 19.7% increase after earthquakes. These are compared to US averages, so they may or may not correlate to other countries, but the mental toll on survivors has to be the same no matter your nationality. This documentary follows a family after the father has taken his life. It shows home video where he looks fine, and they talk about how they just didn't know how bad things were. I feel like this could almost be a companion piece to 13 Reasons Why. Where that series looked at suicide from the victim's point of view, this doc looks at the family dealing with the aftermath. We should all strive to be more aware of our fellow man and what they are experiencing, and we should encourage people to talk, to seek help if they need it. It doesn't mean you are weak if you need help. Sometimes the bravest action you can take is asking for what you need. A friend of mine on Twitter, Shannon Fox, is participating in a walk for the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention on October 22, 2017. As of right now she's at 42% of her goal. If you would like to help, click here to be taken to her pledge page.

Not everything is coming out on Netflix, although it seems that way. October must be a really dead month for the studios. November and December look a whole lot hotter. On October 13, the new Jackie Chan movie The Foreigner comes out. It looks a little like Taken with kung fu. I think that's looks like a damn good combination.

On October 15th, Netflix also debuts a 2014 Kickstarter-funded documentary called She Makes Comics. I am by no means a comics aficionado; I'm more of a dabbler. The internet can be a fantastic place, but as Uncle Ben tells Peter, with great power comes great responsibility (see, I know some things). It brings you into closer contact with your favorite artists for one. Some people choose to look at that as a good thing, some people exploit it, and some people choose to dwell on the dark side. It's the age of the internet troll, unfortunately. Some fanboys insist there's no place for diversity in comics. Again, I don't know a lot, but I do know that is simply not true. The very foundation of the comics industry is accepting of all people. Only the villain pronounces hate-filled diatribes. If you are speaking ill of anyone, just because they are different than you in anyway, in whatever industry they choose to be in, you are the villain in the story of your life. You should always strive to be the hero. Be the Avengers; don't be the Chitauri. We all know how that turned out.

If you're into Stephen King, it's been a really good summer for you. You've got IT in movie theatres, Gerald's Game debuts on Netflix on September 29th, and on October 20th, Netflix also debuts a short story he wrote called 1922. I'm not sure I can watch it, but I don't think it's getting a lot of attention and it probably should.

On October 24, Netflix drops two seasons of an Australian television show called Wanted. This looks action packed and funny, which is an interesting combination. One of the people involved calls it Breaking Bad with women. Two strangers meet at a bus stop and become involved in a carjacking. They go on a cross country run from it looks like pretty corrupt cops in a vehicle filled with cash. It is apparently fairly popular in Australia and I think it could do well here.

Finally THE DAY! October 27th. Stranger Things. Need I say more.

So that's everything I've found that looks interesting to me this next month. Is there something I missed? Let me know.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Losing My Religion

36 Books That Changed The World by The Great Courses (audiobook)

Review: “Three Identical Strangers”