The Adventuress by Tasha Alexander

I used to think I didn't like mysteries. When I worked at the bookstore, I used to wander past the mysteries and look over at the books by Tasha Alexander and think, "Those look interesting, but I don't read mysteries, so I guess I'll never know." Then I'd toddle off to do whatever I was doing: shelving, helping customers, pretending to look for a book I knew good and well we didn't have but someone insisted, etc. Eventually my good friend John brought me to my senses, for which I shall be forever grateful.

For those not familiar with these novels, the heroine is Lady Emily. There are now 10 books in the series:

And Only to Deceive
A Poisoned Season
A Fatal Waltz
Tears of Pearl
Dangerous to Know
A Crimson Warning
Death in the Floating City
Behind the Shattered Glass
The Counterfeit Heiress
and now The Adventuress

Lady Emily is the daughter of an earl. Because this is the Victorian age, her only real option for her future is to marry someone equally as wealthy. She is resisting as much as she can, but her formidable mother will have her way. She marries Viscount Philip Ashton, who very soon afterward dies in Africa. Now a widow, she's able to be much more independent. She spends her time teaching herself to read Homer in ancient Greek and becoming an expert in Greek antiquities. Nice, right?

Somewhere along the way she begins to suspect that her husband's death was not exactly as natural as she was led to believe and she begins making inquiries. Being headstrong and independently wealthy makes all the difference and she begins upping her sleuthing skills as she goes along. Eventually she remarries and the two partner up solving mysteries. I don't want to give too much away in case someone hasn't experienced the series yet.

Honestly, the first book did not exactly wow me. It seems mostly expository. It introduces you to a good variety of characters and fleshes them out very well, so as you read on, you know these characters like old friends. But like any friendship, the first stages are a little tentative as you feel each other out and learn to trust in the other person. What you find is sparkling and witty dialogue, an attention to detail that makes you feel as if you are actually in the same place as the character, and, if not surprising twists, an entirely enjoyable journey getting to the end of the story.

I've had the pleasure of getting to attend 2 of her book signings, and she's very personable and tells some fascinating stories about the places she visits to research her novels. If you get the chance I highly recommend attending one.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Losing My Religion

36 Books That Changed The World by The Great Courses (audiobook)

Review: “Three Identical Strangers”